Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Respect and the First Lady

It was interesting to read the letters to Eleanor Roosevelt in class the other day. I remember making a comment about a woman who asked the First Lady for clothes even though her office had already directed her to contact welfare programs. While I originally thought that that demand was beneath Roosevelt's title, I did not take into account the different time period. It's interesting to see how America respects and values the position of the First Lady over time. 

While listening to a Spotify music station the other day, the song “Bo$$,” by Fifth Harmony came on. For those have never heard the song, the chorus’ main lyrics are “Boss Michelle Obama, Purse so heavy gettin' Oprah dollas.”

I was immediately reminded of our discussion in class of how we value and respect the First Lady today. I can only wonder, how did Michelle Obama react when she first heard this song? While personally I think it’s empowering and flattering, it's an interesting question to ask, especially with the excessive influence of pop music today. In addition, what would Eleanor Roosevelt have thought about this song and its Michelle Obama reference? I presume she would have felt the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4JfPlry-iQ



No comments:

Post a Comment