Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Fake Wokeness of the Boy Scouts

Here's an op-ed from the New York Times about the announcement that the Boy Scouts would allow girls to participate in Cub Scouts and eventually become Eagle Scouts. The authors views this move as an attack on the Girl Scouts, a group with very different values.  She writes:

"The Girl Scouts have long focused on social justice, diversity and inclusion in their activities. And as members of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, a global body, they have provided financial support to organizations such as Oxfam, Amnesty International and Doctors Without Borders. Feminist icons routinely recall their Girl Scout days as a source of strength and confidence that launched them into lives of purpose."

I'm curious if any of you is a former Girl Scout, and if so, what you think of the decision by the Boy Scouts?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor Selig,
    What an interesting discussion to bring up! I am a former Girl Scout so I take particular interest in this topic. While I respect and value the Girl Scout organization, I honestly never enjoyed it while growing up. This was partly due to the fact that as a Girl Scout, we engaged in activities that were classically "feminine," like arts and crafts. My brothers, on the other hand, were in Boy Scouts and partook in more recreational activities, like camping and hiking. Unfortunately, these were the activities that I always wanted to do.

    To be honest, If I could have been a part of the Boy Scout organization while growing up, I definitely would have. Their focuses are geared more towards my interests to a significant extent.

    While the line might get fuzzy between what differentiates a "Boy Scout," from a "Girl Scout," as more girls join the Boy Scout group, for right now, I think it's a good idea. Why not let the girls who associates themselves with the interests of Boy Scouts engage in activities that make them happy?

    ReplyDelete